It was attended by most governments, UN Agencies and Programmes and some stakeholders.
The purpose of the dialogue was to have a frank and open high-level discussions on the options for strengthening the institutional framework for sustainable development, with a view to progress towards formulating concrete proposals which could be taken up for consideration and possible adoption at Rio+20.
I was able to make a presention in the session on Strengthening, Transforming & Reforming the Intergovernmental Institutions’. This addressed the changes through incremental change, overhaul or new institutions of UNEP, the CSD, ECOSOC and suggested:
- A Sustainable Development Council of the General Assembly
- An Intergovernmental Panel on Sustainable Development to oversee other scientific panels and reduce fragmentation
- An Interagency sub committee of the Chief Executive Board to ensure coherence within the UN family
- An approach to have regional conventions for Principle 10 of the Rio Declaration
- A Corporate Environment and Social Responsibility Convention